Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Son In Yours, The Sun In Mine

I followed you into the world.
You kept your soul sweet and sterile
while I threw my soul into peril.
I wish I'd never learned
how hard it is to burn ones self away.

I never could see black or white.
I still can't say which way was right.
Yours just seemed to me to be so narrow.
But in the end it might just be the one.

Oh, I don't know
how I'm getting home.
If I make it there
will you let me in?
(Your eyes reflect the Son.
They've been that way since we first began.)

Way back when went Mary's little Lamb of God
soaking in then bleeding out my sin.
A heart of gold is still a stone -- or so I thought.
If only it was easy to believe.

I'll follow you back to the light,
back to that old familiar glow
that we'll use to cure our blood and marrow.

Will they herald my return
or is that something I will never earn?

I wave, good-bye to the summer.
I feel that the fall is near
that leads straight down into winter
and round to a whole new year.
I'll find you again in the spring
in the way everything will turn green.
I'll feel that damned light in my heart
and start it all over.

No comments: